Shubman Gill smashed an unbeaten of 126 off 63 balls help India beat New Zealand by 168 runs in the deciding third T20I in Ahmedabad. This win also helped India secure a 2-1 series victory over New Zealand.
It was the biggest win in T20I cricket involving two full-member teams. It was also the first time New Zealand were bowled out for a lower total in T20Is.
India s New Zealand T20I Series 2023
If you’re an Indian cricket fan, you’ll be excited to know that India will have a star-studded line-up against the Kiwis in this T20I match. The Indians have a few young players who have impressed with their performance in the recent ODI matches. It will be a great match.
After a missed chance in 2022 ICC Cricket World Cup, India and New Zealand played an exciting T20I series. The series starts on January 18 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad with three ODIs and three T20Is.
India will take on New Zealand in the third and final match of the T20I series at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. After defeating the Black Caps in the first game of the three-match series by 21 runs, Hardik Pandya’s men will aim to seal the deal in this final encounter.
If you’re a fan of cricket, then it’s easy to watch the India vs New Zealand T20I Series 2023 live on your TV or mobile device. You can watch all the action from a range of platforms such as Star Sports, JioTV, Willow TV, and Disney+ Hotstar. These services will offer a free trial for all users. Alternatively, you can watch the cricket on your laptop or smartphone via a VPN.
The India vs New Zealand T20I Series 2023 will be played in various venues across the country. The first ODI of the series will take place on January 18 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad. The second ODI will be played at the Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium in Raipur on January 21 and the third ODI will be played at the Holkar Cricket Stadium in Indore on January 24.
In addition, the first T20I will also be held at the JSCA International Stadium Complex in Ranchi on January 27. The second T20I will be played at the Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium in Lucknow on January 29. The third T20I will be played in Ahmedabad on Febnuary 29.
- Also Read : A Full List of Indian Cricket Fixtures for 2023
Shubman Gill’s 126 not out
Shubman Gill smashed a blistering 126 not out against New Zealand to help India beat them by 168 runs and win the series 2-1. He became the highest individual innings in T20Is, eclipsing Virat Kohli’s 122 not out vs Afghanistan at Dubai on September 8, 2022.
He smashed 12 fours and seven sixes in his blistering innings. His unbeaten knock smashed all sorts of records and he now joins names like Suresh Raina, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, and Rohit Sharma in the list of Indian batsmen to score centuries in all three formats.
His 126 not out paved the way for a monster 234-4 as India cruised to a crushing win. The Men In Blue piled up a mammoth target with opener Gill’s whirlwind hundred, followed by a steady performance from pacer Hardik Pandya, who finished with four wickets.
Gautam Gambhir had earlier suggested that Gill needs to work on his game against spin, which he’s struggled with in T20Is. But he praised his opener’s maiden T20I century, saying:
Hardik Pandya’s four wickets
Hardik Pandya took a brilliant four wickets in T20I to help India register a record-breaking win against England. He joined Dwayne Bravo, Shane Watson and Mohammed Hafeez in the record books after taking the scalps of Jason Roy, Dawid Malan, Liam Livingstone and Sam Curran.
Pandya was arguably India’s most exciting bowler during the match, ripping apart England’s top order with his pace and sharpness. He also impressed with his fielding skills.
The Gujarat native showed his class with the bat and bowled with a perfect touch, removing Michael Bracewell, Darrell Mitchell, Liam Dawson and Mitchell Santner. He even picked two catches in the slips to help him pick early wickets.
Moreover, he helped the team reach a total of 199. He also took the last four wickets to ensure a comfortable win for India in the first T20I against England.
Arshdeep Singh’s two wickets
Arshdeep Singh was not quite the man of the match but he did have a decent performance in the second T20I against Sri Lanka. The young left-arm pacer bowled a costly 37 in two overs, including five no-balls that made a huge difference to Sri Lanka’s final total of 206/6.
While the youngster leaked runs, he did get two wickets – first, he dug in a bouncer to remove Logan van Beek and then he trapped Fred Klaassen LBW. He also bowled a tight last over to restrict the Netherlands well short of India’s total.
Arshdeep was picked up by Team India in the U-19 Challenger Trophy in 2017. He showed his potential when he scalped three wickets in a game against Zimbabwe. He was later selected for the 2022 Asia Cup where he had a good start.
Suryakumar Yadav’s two catches
Amid all the hilarity that came out of this T20I, a moment that stood out was the two catches by Suryakumar Yadav. The first was taken to dismiss Finn Allen in the first over, while the second was taken in the third over as Glenn Phillips tried to slash the ball from a short ball by Hardik Pandya.
While the first catch was appreciated by everyone, it was the second one that drew the most attention online. The ball was edged over the slips by Glenn Phillips, and Yadav leapt up and made it appear simple while sending him back to the pavilion.
The tweet was shared by Twitter users, who praised the 32-year-old for his incredible catches. After the match, Sanjay Manjrekar also commented that it was “fairytale stuff”.
Some statistics about Team India
- India’s stunning accomplishment by 168 runs over New Zealand is their largest in terms of runs in T20I, exceeding their win by 143 runs over Ireland at Dublin (Malahide) on June 29, 2018.
- India’s above success is the largest in between both Test-playing countries in terms of runs in T20I, taking out the 143-run success by Pakistan against West Indies at National Stadium, Karachi on April 1, 2018.
- India have disputed 25 straight unbeaten series across styles in India from September 2019 onwards – a world record for the majority of unbeaten consecutive series in international cricket played by any team in your home.
- The last time India lost a residence series was a 2-3 loss to Australia in ODIs in March 2019.
- India’s triumph over New Zealand was also their 50th T201 win on Indian soil -the first string to achieve the feat in T20ls in home. The top 5 teams being India (50 wins), New Zealand (42 wins), South Africa (37 wins), Australia (36 wins) as well as West Indies (36 wins).
- New Zealand registered their most significant defeat in regards to runs in T20ls, overshadowing the 103-run loss to Pakistan at Christchurch on December 30, 2010. These 2 defeats are their only ones of 100-plus runs in T20Is.
- India (234/4) have published their highest total vs New Zealand in T20ls, surpassing the 208 for six at Hamilton on February 10, 2019. The score is their 5th highest possible in this format – the highest being 260 for five vs Sri Lanka at Indore on December 22, 2017.
- India’s total is the 3rd highest possible by any type of team against New Zealand – the leading 2 being Australia’s( 245/5) at Auckland on February 16, 2018 and also England’s (241/3) at Napier on November 8, 2019.
- Shubman Gill, at 23 years and also 146 days, has become the youngest Indian batsman to notch up a hundred in T20ls, surpassing Suresh Raina’s record. Raina was 23 years 156 days old while racking up 101 off 60 rounds in the ICC World T20 component vs South Africa at Gros Islet on Might 2, 2010.
- With his outstanding initial century in T20I, Shubman Gill has ended up being the fifth Indian batter to sign up centuries in all 3 international formats – ODIs, Tests and T20ls. He has joined the notable business of Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Lokesh Rahul and Virat Kohli.
- Gill is the 2nd youngest total to complete the above set of scoring hundreds across formats. The youngest is Pakistan’s Ahmed Shehzad (22 years 127 days)had finished the evaluated when he published a hundred in a T20l against Bangladesh at Mirpur on March 30, 2014.
- Shubman, with his unbeaten knock of 126 off 63 spheres, has established an Indian record for the highest possible private innings in T2Ols, bettering Virat Kohli’s 122 not out vs Afghanistan at Dubai on September 8, 2022.
- In the first 32 days of January this year, Shubman has taken care of 769 go for approximately 76.90, consisting of four hundreds as well as a fifty, in twelve innings at a superb strike rate of 134.67. Nothing else batsman has amassed 500-plus runs this year across formats.
- Shubman Gill is the only batter to hit four hundreds throughout formats this year. His tally of 26 sixes is the highest.
- Hardik Pandya (4/16) has generated his finest bowling efficiency in T20ls – his third four-wicket haul.
- Hardik Pandya (30 runs plus 4 wickets for 16 runs) is the only Indian cricketer to complete the dual of posting 30-plus runs and assert four wickets in the same T201 thrice. His initial two instances were against England – 33 not out and 4 for 38 at Bristol on July 8, 2018 and 51 and 4 for 33 at Southampton on July 7, 2022. Once, no other Indian all-rounder has achieved the task also.
- Pandya has emulated Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan to accomplish the above all-round feat as captain. Shakib performed the feat against West Indies at Mirpur on December 20, 2018. Simply 2 other all-rounders from non-Test playing groups have accomplished the distinction – Oman’s Khawar Ali and Sweden’s Abhilit Venkatesh.
- Shubman Gill deservingly obtained his first Man of the Match award in T2Ols.
- Suryakumar Yadav, for the first time, has taken three catches as a fielder in T20ls. He is the second Indian fielder to take 3 catches versus New Zealand – the very first being Arshdeep Singh at Mount Maunganui on November 20, 2022.
- Pandya (66 go for an average of 33.00 as well as 5 wickets at 14.80) has obtained his second gamer of the series award – his first protested Australia in Australia in 2020-21.
- For the second time for India, all 10 wickets in a Twenty20 International have been recorded by speedsters – the first circumstances protesting Pakistan at Dubai on August 28, 2022.
- Shubman Gill has been adjudged the Man of the Match for the first time in T2OIs.
- Shubman Gill as well as Hardik Pandya have shared a stand of 103 – India’s very first century mean the 4th wicket vs New Zealand – their fourth for this wicket-position in T201s.
- Rahul Tripathi (44) has recorded his highest score in T20ls, obliterating the 35 versus Sri Lanka at Rajkot on January 7, 2023.